AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE NOW!!!!
Buy it today (in Canada) at Playwrights Canada Press, A Different Booklist, Indigo and on Amazon
Available in paperback and e-book.
“This is a fresh and empowering perspective from Parris” – The Toronto Star
“Through this important exploration of gender and loyalty in the Black community, Parris highlights a whole host of issues crucial for all Canadians to confront and consider.” – NOW Magazine
“Parris is a strong writer with a unique and inspiring voice.” – Mooney on Theatre
“Other Side of the Game is an unbelievably good piece of theatre.” – Stratford Festival Reviews
“If wishes were kittens, Amanda Parris’s debut play, Other Side Of The Game, would still be a lion’s roar against Toronto’s treatment of the Black community.” – Caribbean Camera
In this striking debut, Amanda Parris turns the spotlight on the Black women who organize communities, support their incarcerated loved ones, and battle institutions, living each day by a ride-or-die philosophy, strengthening their voices and demanding to be heard.
In the 1970s, Beverly walks into an office of Black activists, wanting to join the Movement, and has to prove she’s angry enough to fight. Some forty years later, in the Hip Hop Generation, Nicole reunites with her ex-boyfriend on a basketball court, wondering where he’s been, when a police officer stops them.
- World premiere at Aki Studio Theatre, Co-produced by Cahoots Theatre and Obsidian Theatre Company (2017)
- Reading at Oakwood Library Theatre (2015)
- Reading at the rock paper sistahz Festival (2014)
- Reading at The Piece of Mine Festival (2013)
- Amanda was the 2016 Playwright-in-Residence at Cahoots Theatre and was a participant for 2 years of Cahoots Theatre’s Hot House Playwrights Program
- 2015 Canada Council for the Arts Playwright-in-Residency
- 2014 Toronto Arts Council Individual Playwrights Grant Recipient
- 2013 Michaelle Jean Foundation Bursary
- 2013 Ontario Arts Council Theatre Projects Grant Recipient